Have you been looking for a way to find relief from the abdominal pain
that is a defining symptom of IBS
? After reading Free Yourself From Pain
, a self-help book by Dr. David E. Bresler, you will look at and deal with your pain in a completely different way. This book offers an explanation of the science of pain, an overview of conventional and alternative pain management therapies, and offers instruction on self-management pain techniques.
About the Author
Dr. Bresler is a health psychologist and acupuncture
practitioner who offers a variety of health care services at the Bresler Center
. He is the President of the Academy for Guided Imagery and he has served as the Founder and Director of the UCLA Pain Control Unit and taught at the UCLA School of Medicine.
- Strong conversational writing style makes complex ideas easy to understand.
- Offers a unique yet research-based approach to the understanding of the experience of pain.
- Encourages a holistic approach to pain management, self-care, and the establishment of health behaviors.
- Teaches the skill of guided imagery, which appears to offer positive physical and pain-management effects.
- Although the holistic approach is helpful, the amount of information presented is at times excessive.
- Does not directly discuss the pain experience inherent in IBS.
Is This Book for You?
If your IBS pain is chronic and you would like to reduce your use of pain medication, it is my opinion that you would clearly benefit from reading this book. Although not written directly about IBS, Free Yourself From Pain
will show you that you no longer have to be a victim of unpredictable and debilitating pain. Rather, you will learn proactive ways for managing your pain and reducing your suffering.
Disclaimer: I was a student at Dr. Bresler’s Academy for Guided Imagery.