Of all of the available relaxation techniques, deep breathing exercises are the ones that you can do any time, any place. Deep breathing exercises are a simple way for you to calm your body and turn off your body's response to stress
Time Required: 10 minutes
- Find your diaphragm: Place one hand on your abdomen, palm to stomach, with your pinky above your belly button. The muscles of your diaphragm will be under the palm of your hand.
- Place your other hand on your chest.
- Inhale slowly as you count to three.
- Think the word “Relax” as you exhale to the count of three.
- Keep your top hand as still as possible, relaxing the muscles in your chest and shoulders.
- Focus on the action of your diaphragm. Your bottom hand should move outward as you fill your lungs with air and move inward as you exhale.
- Tip: Thinking the word “relax” as you exhale, turns the word into a cue, prompting your brain to induce a state of relaxation throughout your body.