- My doctor told me to take miralax. You can buy it over the counter. It ia just something to help you have a bowel movement. No cure by any means and sometimes it doesn't even work. I still have constipation for days at a time until my body finally starts to have a bm and then i am i have very painful contractions until i am finally able sometimes up to 2 hours later after the pain starts to finally have a bm. So i just wish they could come up with more to treat or cure this problem.
- —Guest anonymous
- Yeah! Every time i have ibs attack it feels like i am giving birth because of the terribly painful contractions i have up until i am able to get relief by giving birth to a large dump. Usually it is semi-solid with diarrhea. These painful contractions can usually go on for a while until i have this unusual BM! I think part of the reason i have this ibs is because i eat the wrong things and eat to much at a time so it kind of piles up inside me and then is painful on the way out. It usually starts off with me having painful contractions they can last for 2 hours sometimes before my body allows me to have a bowel movement. The worst thing is when this happens in the middle of the night and keeps me awake for several hours losing sleep when i have to get up early in the morning to go to work but i cannot sleep cause of the pain.
- —Guest in pain
- I have never given birth but after dealing with IBS I believe I now know how it feels! I will get this very intense wave of pain come over me in which I HAVE to push and then again and again and again! It seriously feels like my insides are coming out! And then my stools will be so acidic that it feels like bum is on fire and very painful that it will sometimes bring me to tears. I have found though that applying some cornstarch baby powder will help to lessen the burning feeling. Now for this past week I have had a nauseated stomach. The flu has been going around but not sure if that is what I have as I do not vomit, my IBS has just gone into overdrive! I hate having this IBS! Sometimes just the thought of some foods will cause my stomach to react! Stress and nerves will also set it off! When I started my current position at work, for the first week after the training it set in really badly! When I have a bout of it i can sometimes run to the washroom 4-6 times in the run of an hour!
- —Guest Carrie
- Oh I'm so sorry to read so many suffer from this condition. I've only been dealing with it for 3 months and already I'm losing my mind. My pain is generally isolated to the lower left abdomen when the acute cramping begins. Pain feels exactly like a contraction except it's more concentrated in one area (rather than radiating through my abdomen). After an attack my intestines feel tender and sore, as if they've been wrung out to dry. There's no rhyme or reason as to what triggers the pain, it comes on out of the blue. It's bring you to your knees kind of pain. I also have the awful full feeling that comes with chronic constipation which in turn causes additional pain. My days are spent either doubled over in pain or running to the restroom a dozen times a day. The pain is overwhelming, the other symptoms are horrible/painful. For me, chronic pain causes depression (how many times can one say ~ I just hurt all over). It gets old.
- —Guest MJ
ibs in 2012
- I can go for months with no flare ups, but when I do have a bout, it hits me off & on for a week or two. I really wish I knew what foods could be causing this. I would give up my very favorites not to be in this pain, which can be so intense that I feel like I may throw up. You'd think if the medical field has come so far as to transplant a kidney, lung, heart, etc. surely they can come up with a cure for ibs.
- —Guest painful
- Well, I have never been stabbed or anything, but this pain I get since a very young age, and I am 18 now has continue this past weeks. Now its very often and very painful. My mom says it has to do with an ulcer, but I feel like if someone stabbed me or punched me and I feel bloated. I also feel like if I either have a lot of air in me or need to breath at a pace. I have gone to doctors and they always tell me I am okay. I dont know what else to do, I just want to get rid of it.
- —Guest Sheila Lopez
- I'M VERY BLOATED (QUITE HARD), UNCOMFORTABLE WITH NAGGING DISCOMFORT CRAMPS IN MY UPPER PART OF MY STOMACH. I ALSO HAVE LOWER BACK ACHE.
- —Guest NICKY KIWIET
New to all this..
- I had some tests last year, camera down mouth and bottom, doctor said i had mild IBS, my stomach was quite red when they looked at it but ok, i get pains in tummy all over like someone is pulling strings inside me, is this normal i get the runs sometimes dont' know what to eat for the best or what not to eat, makes me feel weak, do others feel like me? I do worry about it sometimes it makes me feel weak. Is it worse when you are on your period?
- —Guest Jacquie
the long and wind-ing road
- Hi, I've been living with digestive problems for longer than I can remember. Heartburn was my main problem for many years. Swallowing a camera revealed that I needed medication to reduce stomach acid production, so I started taking PPI's (Proton Pump Inhibitors) which seem to have triggered other problems, as the reduction of acid means that certain unfriendly bacteria aren't killed off so efficiently. My main problem now is abdominal pain that is at it's worst after more than six or so hours in bed. It can be so debilitatingly painful that all I want to do is stay curled up in bed, which of course makes it worse still - catch 22 ! The pain seems to be all around the inside of my ribcage, as bad at the back as the front. Before being diagnosed (as recently as two weeks ago) with IBS, one doctor even suggested that I change my mattress !? At present, I am leaving dairy products alone at the doctors suggestion, with the plan to re-introduce them one at a time to "nail the guilty party".
- —Guest adrian
- I hate hearing all these stories of everyone suffering with IBS. My story is a little different. I had a tubal and the doctor punctured my colon. Had to have colostomy for 2 months. That all triggered my IBS. I decided that's my problem since doc just keeps running more test on me. My best friend for the last six years since all of this has happened has been my heating pad. It's the only way to get relief. I am nauseous daily. I have peppermint oil from essential oils that I sniff for that. It works. I will be on verge of puking and sniff that and it goes away. That comes in handy when your already sitting on the toilet!! Those are the two things every IBS sufferer should carry with them at all times!!!! Good luck and hope it helps!!
- —Guest Reneedipe
- I have had IBS for about 9 years. I have been okay for the last few years but in the last 6 months it has been affecting my life much more. Although to be honest, the issues with my stomach do cross my mind everyday. I find one thing that affects me the most is red meat. If I dare to eat a steak, I will be putting myself in possible pain, boosting gas & diarrhea the next day. I don't find dairy affects me & if I am working then the night before I will often eat melted cheese on toast as this is the guaranteed meal that won't ever affect my stomach! I find that my stomach just can't digest certain things (like meat) & also if I eat lots of vegetables - sorry to be gross- I can see that they aren't properly digested in my stools. The way ibs affects my life & my job at the moment is that, as a flight attendant, I often have to go on long bus rides (without toilets) from airports to hotels. This means if I have an hour bus ride I refuse to eat beforehand. I also never travel without Buscopan.
- —Guest Zara
Someone help please
- I have been diagnosed with Ibs, and have been suffering for about 4 years but recently it is getting much worse. The contraction type pain has gotten dehibilitating! Now vomiting has started coming with the flare ups. I'm puking and going to the bathroom at the same time!!! Its affecting my work, my personal life. Is there anything I can do?
- —Guest Sick of this life
- I'm 15 and was diagnosed with IBS about 6 months ago, went through all the test besides colonoscopy. (doctors thought it wasn't necessary) at first I had terrible constipation and would switch to diarrhea. Also had slight cramps and a lot of gas .Then I was put on a antispasmodic , but didn't seem to help they then switched me over to a antidepressant. This didn't seem to help either. I also have constant mild nausea which could be due to anxiety they switched me to Zoloft which seems to be helping out! I also drink peppermint tea everyday and it's amazing !!! I also found out sucking on peppermints works very well too! I also eat a very healthy diet, no greasy or fatty foods, and workout and do yoga everyday. (yoga helps a lot ) i finally found some things that work for me, even though I'm still not 100% better and most likely will never be I feel so much better than I did. I hope everything gets better for the rest of you !:) good luck!
- —Guest Brittney
Does this sound like IBS?
- Hi everyone, First off I do have a gall bladder full of stones that I know I have to get out soon. However, recent tests show no infection or inflammation with my gall bladder. I always suspected I suffered from IBS however, I haven't had a diagnosis as of yet. Anyways, I get back pains, abdominal pains, right, left, upper lower, just random pains lasting a few seconds, coming and going. This particular bout consists mainly in my upper and lower LEFT side and rib areas. I have diarrhea mainly, and not to be gross but it is a yellow/bile color. I have bloating and a fullness feelings in my tummy. Also my stomach sounds like a monster growling in it!!!!! Gas and burping come with the territory during a bad bout/episode. I have had ultrasounds, CT Scans, wide range of blood tests, Xrays, a back MRI. So far nothing to really explain my aching spasm like pains. Interesting symptom, my left rib area looks like a lump/bloated area is there. Does anyone have this too? This too was tested.
- It has happened before I went to the doctor for her to tell me its hemorrhoids and stress... but this time its just full out diarrhea. I know I am stressed out majorly. but this just makes it worse... the worst part is when I am driving to school (45 minute drive) and I hear that rumble and I just think to myself why now? I have gas constantly that is very embarrassing then when I try to hold it in in public it just sends me running to the bathroom I get such bad cramps and bloating. When I put my jeans on in the morning they fit fine but then by the end of the day they are cutting into me from being so bloated. I have always had tummy troubles and always just chalked it up to stress since I am miss perfection but I really think there is more to do with it... I have tried to eat healthier but then it just keeps going and finally I just give in and eat comfort foods.... my boyfriend doesn't understand how much it hurts and how embarrassing it is to go to a party with our friends. HELP!