you're not alone
- I suffer from digestive disorder that is what made me get my PhD. It is a lifestyle change... it triggers the nervous system and poorly functioning digestive organs... during periods it messes with hormone balance. Testing your thyroid and hormones can help. Also eating habits have to change with holistic lifestyle habits. For Rx relief found naxophen and muscle relaxers help...natural drugs peppermint oil between meals, digestive enzymes, kelp for thyroid avoid all processed foods and incorporate whole grains. here is one of my secret tips. Use your finger to massage your tongue and gums in the morning it prepares the upper part of your digestive tract for the work of the day. spiritual fitness expert.
- —Guest phd in spiritual health /actress
IBS and periods.
- I'm 17 years old, and I've been diagnosed with IBS. It makes my period horrible. I get cramps, and stomach cramps. It makes my life horrible.
- I'm 33 and was diagnosed with ibs this year. I had a normal history with my GI tract, no issues except the occasional tummy ache. Well I only wish that was still the case now. With an absolute ton of research I've learned to control the symptoms of gas and extreme bloating with Fennel Tea. The stomach discomfort with Ginger Capsules. Staying away from gassy veggies. BUT when my period comes.....it's like God has left me and the Devil takes residence. The stomach cramping (not counting menstral cramping) becomes so terrible I can't stand it. Diarrhea come with it and I deal with the tag team from hell for hours in end. Throw in terrible menstrual cramps right on too of it and I'm ready to end it all. I come so close to vomiting from the pain. Took Kaopectate and that seemed to help with the cramping and spasms. I am against the meds the docs recommend to help cause all they do is whack me out of my mind. Not an equal trade in my opinion so I study holistic alternatives which work better.
- —Guest Tara
- i have ibs-a, mixture of both!! at times i cant go and even when i do im dizzy and breathless, its sooooo much worse when menstruating. Mebeverine used to work but now seems to do very little. i suffer from gerd too and have an enlarged thyroid not sure if the thyroid is related to ibs or not! anyone please help x
- I haven't had a period for 3 months and my stomach is swollen like a balloon. I have taken 4 pregnancy tests all negative so am not pregnant. My doctor said it sounds like ibs and I will probably need to take laxatives everyday of my life. I take laxatives at least 3 times a week at the moment this is the only way I can go the toilet. It's getting me really down to the point were I don't want to leave the house.
- —Guest Rachel
i thought i was dying
- im 20 yrs old and this is my first time experiencing anything like this. i'm on my period now and the day it started, i was in unbearable pain. i thought i was having a miscarriage but i knew i wasn't pregnant. i laid in the tub of cool water to relax my back. i was reading up on what i could've been going thru then i found this page and it made me feel better...somewhat. i don't wanna deal with this for the rest of my life. this makes me miserable. i could tolerate it if it's just during my period but i'm scared to have to deal with this 365 days a year. the cramps from the IBS and my period ARE NOT a good combination. A cure for this would be nice. I wish everyone the best. i've only had it for 3 days and i'm ready to rip everything out.
- —Guest Nmarieeee
- i have suffered with ibs since i was about 12, have had months sometimes year without it really affecting me, have found the older i get the worse it gets. It has been really bad over the last 3 years, have really bad cramps, feeling like death, feel sick. i have found that it gets even worse a week before and during my period but my doctors says thats norma. they think its down to the hormones but they can not be sure as not much is really known about ibs or what causes it. just wished that more was known about and that people who don't have it were a little more understanding. fed up of having it made out that is not that big of deal and I should just get on with it. I try to but when its really bad all i wanna do is climb into bed until the pain calms down. so nice to see that there are so many other people that suffer the same problems and that i'm not weird.
- —Guest claire
Can't take anymore!
- I'm a 38 year old mum of two. I've had IBS since I was 12. I can definitely say it is a huge blight on my life and causes me great anxiety. I've had so much counselling but it doesn't help because my IBS symptoms are still there. When I have my period, the IBS becomes unbearable. I actually live my life around my period. Thankfully, my cycle is regular. But I dread if I have to be somewhere when I know my period will be coming. The week before and during I have terrible nausea, very loose bowel and generally feel dreadful. Today I feel like giving up. :(
ibs and perimenopsuse
- Omg. Seeing ceedee's response made me realize just how much hell hormones can put us older women through. I've had IBS in the past, mostly due to stressful jobs, but mostly had the constipation. I've also had relatively heavy periods my whole life, though pretty regular when I was on the pill for about 18 years. Now my periods alternate between the extremes of very heavy or very light. Occasionally I skip a period, but it's more likely that I have two in a month. I frequently suffer from low back pain but never knew that could be an IBS symptom. Now at almost 43, I've had the horrible diarrhea and sometimes vomiting, usually the second or third day of my period but today on the first day. I'm also noticing a really cold feeling in my stomach and breasts this time around. Anyone else get that?
- —Guest nettie
diarrhea and period
- A few days before my period i get very bad cramps and diarrhea..I get so scared and I start thinking stupid thoughts...I also have ibs and bad cramping and during ovulation I get that also..IT gets very annoying and aggravating..dont know what to do at times...Do any of you women feel this way..I also get depressed.
- —Guest mickey
- I tend to get horrible stomach cramps and diarrhea just before my period starts and also during. The diarrhea is worse than normal during menstruation. Now I am starting to have late or missed period and am NOT pregnant. The IBS is bad all of the time but way worse when I am on my period.
- —Guest Allison
ibs period and pain
- It is amazing to see others with the same issues and nothing can be done. My symptoms are way worse when my period comes. Doctors really can't explain and look at me like I am crazy. i was diagnosed about 3 years ago, quit taking meds cause how they made me feel. I am just taking it one day at a time. Praying for everyone.
- —Guest Paula
the bathroom is my new home:(
- Right before I'm on my period, pms is a backache,and cramping and diarrhea. I've had ibs for three years and I'm so freaking fed up with it.Why isn't there a cure for this!?!?Help me! It's complete hell, all of it. I need a hug!
- —Guest emmalee
- Had IBS for 21years now. Last couple of years it is much worse. Triggered by walking, moving or having a pee. Gluten and some foods make it worse. Pains in abdomen , lower back and down hips into thighs. Soooo unbearable:-(
- —Guest Sp
Thank you thank you thank you
- I just had an attack and am sitting here on the couch, curled up in a ball. I was so relieved to read all of your stories, and to see how I'm not an alien after all!
- —Guest Kimi