i cant take it
- Im 23 years old have endometriosis, IBS and horrible perioids.. I've tried about 8 BC pills and seen lots of doctors.. I've tried hormone replacement therapy and even had surgery! Enough is enough.. I'm in so much pain I either lay in my bed for the duration of my cycle or spend my time in the bathroom feeling like death is knocking at my door. There has to be an answer right?
- —Guest torie
ibs and period
- i have been an ibs sufferer for many years - and it has always been worse around my period - here are some things i have found helpful - first off check out this site www.helpforibs.com - there are some great helpful ideas here - and a lot of helpful information - things that have worked for me are peppermint tea (my bff during my ibs attacks), acidophilus tablets (or any probiotic), cutting out dairy, and watching what i eat in general around the time of my period - for example eating raw vegetables on an empty stomach will send me right to the bathroom, i also take a probiotic (fiber) - i personally can not take metamucil or citrucel so i take the one from the site i mentioned above - it is much more gentle on my stomach - i also suffer from gastritis which also gets worse around my period - for that i take zantac but there are several over the counter meds that help with that - i also found that going to a gastroenterologist vs an ob/gyn was much more helpful in dealing with my ibs.
- —Guest rachel
My IBS flipflops
- I have IBS-A and my symptoms really get erratic when I get my period. Some months I have bowel movements 2-4 times a day and then the next month I get so constipated that it's extremely painful to go. The months where my cramps last more than two days and I am taking Advil every 4 hours is when I get really constipated. During this time I have to really increase my water and fiber intake more than usual just to make sure I have a bowel movement every day . My morning time on the toilet becomes an absolute necessity.
IBS and MS
- I'm 34 years old and have had IBS for over 20 years. I also have MS, and have lived with its tyranny for about 5 years now. Both the MS and IBS symptoms get much, much worse from the time I ovulate until the end of my period. The week and a half or so following my period is like heaven. I feel almost human. I'm desperately trying to find the right birth control pill to keep me in this phase of my cycle year-round!
- —Guest Violet
Pain,pain and more pain
- I'm posting because I am currently sitting at my job with the worst cramps and gas I could ever bear. I have been getting them especially at night to the point of not getting any sleep. Its been this way ever since I turned 25 I will be 28 in June. Doctor oz mentioned on his show recently about this issue he recommended a pill called phayzme (simethicone). I did research and see many users found it very effective for gas I ordered yesterday from amazon. A bit expensive at the local cvs got it for 17 bucks for a 100 pills on amazon. It was 20 bucks for 60 at cvs. Hope this helps.
- —Guest Sarah mohammed
sooo tired of this
- They say I have I.B.S? Mine hits me about a week after my period. Its Horrible Horrible pain! I can't live like this anymore. It last for about a week. It will hit me at any point even if I don't eat. The pain is so bad that you feel like blood should be coming out somewhere. I get bloated. I also get constipated. When I'm not dealing with this I can eat anything but not when that week gets here. It comes like clockwork every month. No one really understands. Oh, if I sprinkle turmeric on food then I'm able to eat it. I'm thinking of buying capsules of turmeric. And maybe taking aloe vera. As of now I stop the pain eating antacids??! I keep them handy. I'm at the point where I've just had enough. Its going on 3 years. Lord, I pray we find answers.
- —Guest mellie
Ugh I hate being a girl
- Hi I'm Brittany and I'm 18 and ever since I've started getting my period I've experienced bad cramps which cause me to get diarrhea and nausea and a few times per year. i'll vomit and it's soo bad I can't stand it. If I vomit it's usually on the first day and it happened suddenly like one minute im fine and the next I'm in bad pain and cold sweats and vomiting and laying on the floor like I'm going to die it's such a mess. Then on the second on third days of my period I get bad gas that does not come out no matter what I do it just stays in there and it's very uncomfortable. Usually by the fourth day of my period I feel better but for a few days before and the first three days I'm a mess. Boy I just love being a female.
- —Guest Brittany
- Guys i've been reading a book called the hormone diet and doing research into hormones and there is a massive link with this and high estrogen and low progesterone which is why pain fluctuates according to your cycle. The books not about ibs but having read around the subject and suffered myself it really opens your eyes please Google it. Good luck all p.s. my symptoms are better x
- —Guest nicola
Glad to see I'm not the only one!
- I have been diagnosed with IBS for about 10 years now, and have my good and bad days. I have had many other stomache issues and have had my galbladder removed because of the pain. About a week before my period I become extremely sick. I can't eat anything without it making me sick, even a piece of candy! I get severe gas pains, sometimes so bad i can't even stand up straight. I can't take BC because it makes me sick, as I have tried 4-5 different kinds. I understand what you all are going through and I hope they can figure something out to help make this more normal for all of us! Some days my heating pad is my best friend, but it seems not many other people understand. My coworkers think I am being dramatic when I have to sit down in our back office curled up in pain. It is no fun :( good luck to everyone!
- —Guest Amanda
tired of pain
- I have been in perimenopause for 3 years now and my IBS is horrible...When it is around my menstrual cycle, which now sometimes is 2 times a month other months I don't get it at all, it's horrible...Stomach cramping, gas bloating, depression, constipation and or diarrhea...Its horrible, I could use any suggestions please.
- —Guest loribirn
- I had always had an irregular period and recently I got on BC so it could regulate itself, well I finally got my period and OMG it has been the most painful yet. I have had so much bloating and lots of gas pains. Especially trapped gas underneith my left lower rib cage. Also when I try to eat anything I get these onset sharp gas pains in my stomach. I dont eat much on my period anyway, but the gas pains are making it hard. Also everytime I have had a BM its either been watery or solid and on the smaller side.. This sucks.
- —Guest Meagan
I'm not alone!!
- I am so happy to have read these posts! I'm 25 and have been dealing with IBS for about 7years now. Diarrhoea around the time of my period has been happening since my periods started. An Imodium here and there works a treat so I'm not running back and forth from the loo all day! Having a cereal bar in the morning helps too :) I have always had really bad cramps with my periods but have got worse recently, codeine and a hot water bottle always cheers me up though! Taking eggs out of my diet around the time of my period has really helped with the IBS, not sure if it'll help everybody, but its worth a try if you're lost for ideas to help! Xxx
- —Guest charliedee
sick and tired
- I have been in perimenopause for 3 years and my ibs symptoms are now off the charts, severe abdominal pain, cramping, and bloating..Doctors want to give me an antidepressent, but I know this is not in my head..I now have been going through this current flare up for almost 2 and a half weeks, and I have gotten my period 2 times this month..I dont know what to do and which end is up at this point..My wonderful husband has been home from work for 1 weeks to help me and I have 4 kids...any ideas please let me know..Thanks
- —Guest loribirn
Glad to find an answer/name to my pain
- Hi, I was searching for an explanation/name for the pain I get couple of hours before I have my period and almost all day of day. thankfully I found this page where I can see I am not the only one. I need to see my gp to find out if i have ibs. the pain is unbearable. feels like childbirth pain but from the other end!!! lol i have been going through this since I had my baby number 3 in 2010. Yes and passing the gas is the solution. but it is embarrassing if you get this pain which you can't control to bear it in public. it is true they say 'heaven is under mum/women's steps'. we do go through a hell time with these pains, don't we??? have a nice day/night everyone. tc
- —Guest Coconut
Why so Young
- Hello I am nineteen and have had symptoms of severe constipation, gas/bloating, cramps for the past year now. I only had these symptoms during my period and felt like I was going crazy because no one believed that these symptoms were related to my period but just some anomaly. After transferring schools from a community college to a university I now live in dorms with awful foods. After the first 2 days I started having diarrhea for the first two months and it was unbearable, I tried 4 different birth controls to help manage the symptoms however they just made me gain weight and over sensitive. Finally I went to the health clinic at my school where a Dr. who wasnt even a OBGYN told me I had IBS afterwards she gave my a certain type of fiber supplements that I take every day. They help with the regular diarrhea but I still have extreme constipation during my period. Still upset but I'm trying to deal with it. Good to know there are more women like me.
- —Guest Guest