IBS and menstral cycle horror
- I am home from work right now having an attack! I started my cycle yesterday and was up all night with terrible pain, nausea, trapped gas, migraine headache, diarrhea, frequent urination, and the worst menstrual cramps to top it all off. Living like this is just horrible! Took and anti spasm med to try and get some sleep!
- —Guest Kimberly
- Ugh I have my period today intact and my stomach is killing me! I have non stop cramps, bloating, fatigue, nausea, constipation and diarrhea it's terrible.
- —Guest Alaina
you're not alone!
- hi, I'm an 18 year old female, i've dealt with ibs since i was born, i don't know what to do anymore because i can't afford to pay for the amitiza that my bowel doctor prescribed for me, i was on samples for about 2 years, I can't afford to eat the right foods because they are too expensive so i have to suffer with the ibs attacks. i cant have any powdered laxatives because it gives me constant diarrhea i don't know why, and i don't know what i should do. i have no family history of ibs-c i feel like im alone because i have no one to guide me into the right path, can someone please help me?
pain all the time
- I understand all too well how you feel. I have suffered from IBS most of my life, but it only got really bad the past 4 years, after a misdiagnosis of diverticulitis. Now around my periods I am miserable, as like you, gassy, bloated, and alternating constipation and diarrhea, I wish I could tell you how to lessen the pain, but sometimes a heating pad will help a little, and gas x also..I hope you feel better, as I hope all of us do..
- —Guest loribirn
pain all the time
- i am a 40 year old woman. have ibs for the past 4 years. i have painful periods ,gas , diarrhea and constipation before my period. even with my period symptoms don't go away. im fed up with it, nobody seems to understand me, i feel so alone in this.
Progesterone withdrawal Increases IBS
- I have finally realized my pattern in IBS symptoms. I Was diagnosed with P-I IBS 3years ago. Since then, I have had off and on periods of IBS symptoms. It has taken major lifestyle changes to prevent my flare ups, but I can't get rid of the Pre-Menses flare up and PMDD symptoms. Hormone sensitivity runs on the female side in my family, so I see it as inevitable, but the Sx's are intolerable. I miss work one day a month the day after the night that I'm keeled over for 6 hours being sick due to my IBS triggered by decrease in progesterone. Reading has helped me to realize that this is the culprit. Anyone have any idea what medications may be out there that help? I was thinking about a low-dose SSRI ( to take that 10 days of month) or birth control pill -- but I'm terribly moody (depressed) on the pill. I only tried Loestrin Fe24 4 years ago, but wanting to kill myself caused me to never want to touch hormones again. I now have a UT380 Short Copper IUD (causes heavy bleeding and cramps).
- —Guest Steph
There is help out there!
- I have suffered with pain periods, diarrhea the first 24 hrs of my period, gas, hormonal issues since I got my period at 13 in 1997. I thought there was no hope. I have been to Internists, GYN's, Endocrinologists for the past 4 years in search of a cure. I even had laparoscopic surgery in Jan 2012, for supposed endometriosis. I just recently went to see a Gastroenterologist and she did a colonoscopy and endoscopy. She prescribed dicyclomine for IBS. this thing works wonders. It started working right away! I just got my period and instead of being 7 days, it is now 3 days. The medication has helped with loud growling, gassiness and situational IBS caused by anxiety. I know have hope of getting back to school and getting a degree. This problem has hindered me from reaching my full potential. For those who believe in Christ, seek his kingdom first and you will receive healing and/or strength to get through these series of physical infirmity. For we battle not against flesh and blood.
- —Guest Danise Joseph
- I am 43 and I have always been gasey during periods, but in nov/dec 2012 the gas was so painful, and there was so much pressure on my rectum that I needed to go the ER for relief. I recently had fibroid emboloziation and I am hoping that this will cease much of the pain that I am feeling. I am so glad that I am not the only one going through this. The pain feels like labor. The gas pain are so severe. The gas pains during my menstrual cycle feel like my rib cages are breaking apart, just to let the gas pass. It hurts like hell to make a bowel movement during this time. Im going to make an appointment with gastroenterology dept. I can't keep going through this.
- —Guest Ms. ETS 23
i cant take it
- Im 23 years old have endometriosis, IBS and horrible perioids.. I've tried about 8 BC pills and seen lots of doctors.. I've tried hormone replacement therapy and even had surgery! Enough is enough.. I'm in so much pain I either lay in my bed for the duration of my cycle or spend my time in the bathroom feeling like death is knocking at my door. There has to be an answer right?
- —Guest torie
ibs and period
- i have been an ibs sufferer for many years - and it has always been worse around my period - here are some things i have found helpful - first off check out this site www.helpforibs.com - there are some great helpful ideas here - and a lot of helpful information - things that have worked for me are peppermint tea (my bff during my ibs attacks), acidophilus tablets (or any probiotic), cutting out dairy, and watching what i eat in general around the time of my period - for example eating raw vegetables on an empty stomach will send me right to the bathroom, i also take a probiotic (fiber) - i personally can not take metamucil or citrucel so i take the one from the site i mentioned above - it is much more gentle on my stomach - i also suffer from gastritis which also gets worse around my period - for that i take zantac but there are several over the counter meds that help with that - i also found that going to a gastroenterologist vs an ob/gyn was much more helpful in dealing with my ibs.
- —Guest rachel
My IBS flipflops
- I have IBS-A and my symptoms really get erratic when I get my period. Some months I have bowel movements 2-4 times a day and then the next month I get so constipated that it's extremely painful to go. The months where my cramps last more than two days and I am taking Advil every 4 hours is when I get really constipated. During this time I have to really increase my water and fiber intake more than usual just to make sure I have a bowel movement every day . My morning time on the toilet becomes an absolute necessity.
IBS and MS
- I'm 34 years old and have had IBS for over 20 years. I also have MS, and have lived with its tyranny for about 5 years now. Both the MS and IBS symptoms get much, much worse from the time I ovulate until the end of my period. The week and a half or so following my period is like heaven. I feel almost human. I'm desperately trying to find the right birth control pill to keep me in this phase of my cycle year-round!
- —Guest Violet
Pain,pain and more pain
- I'm posting because I am currently sitting at my job with the worst cramps and gas I could ever bear. I have been getting them especially at night to the point of not getting any sleep. Its been this way ever since I turned 25 I will be 28 in June. Doctor oz mentioned on his show recently about this issue he recommended a pill called phayzme (simethicone). I did research and see many users found it very effective for gas I ordered yesterday from amazon. A bit expensive at the local cvs got it for 17 bucks for a 100 pills on amazon. It was 20 bucks for 60 at cvs. Hope this helps.
- —Guest Sarah mohammed
sooo tired of this
- They say I have I.B.S? Mine hits me about a week after my period. Its Horrible Horrible pain! I can't live like this anymore. It last for about a week. It will hit me at any point even if I don't eat. The pain is so bad that you feel like blood should be coming out somewhere. I get bloated. I also get constipated. When I'm not dealing with this I can eat anything but not when that week gets here. It comes like clockwork every month. No one really understands. Oh, if I sprinkle turmeric on food then I'm able to eat it. I'm thinking of buying capsules of turmeric. And maybe taking aloe vera. As of now I stop the pain eating antacids??! I keep them handy. I'm at the point where I've just had enough. Its going on 3 years. Lord, I pray we find answers.
- —Guest mellie
Ugh I hate being a girl
- Hi I'm Brittany and I'm 18 and ever since I've started getting my period I've experienced bad cramps which cause me to get diarrhea and nausea and a few times per year. i'll vomit and it's soo bad I can't stand it. If I vomit it's usually on the first day and it happened suddenly like one minute im fine and the next I'm in bad pain and cold sweats and vomiting and laying on the floor like I'm going to die it's such a mess. Then on the second on third days of my period I get bad gas that does not come out no matter what I do it just stays in there and it's very uncomfortable. Usually by the fourth day of my period I feel better but for a few days before and the first three days I'm a mess. Boy I just love being a female.
- —Guest Brittany