For over fifteen years, Dr. Barbara Bolen has been helping IBS patients find ways to better manage their symptoms. She has written two books on IBS and has been the About.com IBS Expert since 2007. Her training in both clinical psychology and nutrition provides her with a unique ability to support those who have IBS in finding symptom relief.
PsychologistDr. Bolen has over 25 years of experience in providing psychological services to individuals of all ages and has worked in both hospital and private practice settings. She has expertise in helping patients with depression, anxiety, bereavement, trauma recovery, and coping with chronic illness. She is licensed as a psychologist in the state of New York and currently maintains a private practice, with offices in Farmingdale and Northport, New York.
IBS Health Coaching
Dr. Bolen offers two types of services to directly support people who have IBS:
- Individual Program: Dr. Bolen will work side by side with you to support you in making nutritional and lifestyle changes that will help you to resolve your gut issues. To get started, schedule an individual health breakthrough session by clicking here.
- Group Program: This low-cost three month group coaching program will provide you with numerous tools for diet and lifestyle changes to get you on the path toward getting your IBS under control. New group starts April 23, 2014! To learn more, click here.
Dr. Bolen's Books:
- Free E-Book: The Happy Belly Handbook
- Breaking the Bonds of Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Psychological Approach to Regaining Control of Your Life
- IBS Chat: Real Life Stories and Solutions
Dr. Bolen received her undergraduate degree from St. John's University in Jamaica, New York, and her masters and doctoral degree in School and Clinical Psychology from Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York.
She has received certification as a health coach through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition.
Dr. Bolen is also certified in the use of Interactive Guided Imagery℠, an effective treatment for pain reduction.
By Barbara Bradley Bolen, Ph.D.:
The severity of the impact that IBS has on a person's life has long been overlooked and minimized. Over the years I have heard countless stories of lives filled with pain and life limitations caused by this very disruptive digestive disorder. I have also seen people find ways to manage their IBS so that their lives do not feel so like they are completely turned upside down. My mission is to get relevant information to those who are affected by IBS so that they can find a way to regain that all-important sense of control over their life.
Connect with Dr. Bolen
The information contained on this site is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for diagnosis or treatment rendered by a licensed physician. It is essential that you discuss with your doctor any symptoms or medical problems that you may be experiencing.